In software development projects, a bug tracking system is a software application that can help record, report, assign and keep tracking of reported software bugs. In other words, you can say, “Better the bug tracking tool, better is the quality of the product.” There are various types of bug tracking tools available in the market. Please have a look at some of the below.
Bugzilla is the most popular bug tracking tool available in the market and this tool is an open-source software and it has some great
- Email notification for change in code
- Reports and Charts
- Patch Viewers
- A list of bugs can be generated in different formats
- Schedule daily, monthly, and weekly reports
- Detects the duplicate bug automatically
- Setting bug priorities
- Predict the time a bug may get fixed
Thousands of software companies and software professionals use JIRA as a bug-tracking tool in their day to day work because of its easy to use framework. JIRA is a commercial product that helps to capture and organize
the team issues, prioritizing the issues, and updating all the issues with the project. Due to its quality to track any kind of issues, it is not just restricted to the software industry even that It supports agile projects also. This tool is available with many add-ons that make it more powerful than other tools
Mantis is another bug tracking tool that is very easy to use. Mantis has its own mobile version as well as it also comes as a web application. It works with multiple databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL, MS SQL. It is also integrated with many applications like chat, time tracking, wiki, RSS feeds, etc.
- This is an Open source tool
- It provides an E-mail notification
- It supports reporting with reports and graphs
- Source control integration
- Supports custom fields
- Supports time tracking management
- Multiple projects per instance
- Enable to watch the issue change history and roadmap
- Supports an unlimited number of users, issues, and projects
Redmine is an open-source bug tracking tool that integrates with SCM (Source Code Management System). It is a project management web application system that developed using the Ruby on Rails framework with supporting multiple platforms and multiple databases for reporting purposes.
- Gantt chart and calendar
- News, document, and files management
- This tool provides SCM integration
- Issue creation via email
- This software supports multiple databases.
- A flexible issue tracking system
- Flexible role-based access control
- Multi-Language support
It is a web-based bug tracking and project management system. The platform supports task planning, creates stories to track tasks, as well as various reports and statistics. The other features of this tool include
- Clone defects
- Defect Sharing
- Burn work hours
Backlog is a popular bug and project tracking tool in one platform. It’s easy for anyone to report bugs and keep track of a full history of issue updates and status changes. Development teams use Backlog to work with other teams for enhanced team collaboration and high-quality project delivery.
- Easy bug tracking tool
- Search and advanced search features
- A full history of issue updates and status changes
- Project and issues with subtasks
- Git and SVN built-in
- Gantt Charts and Burndown charts
- Wikis and Watchlists
- Native mobile apps
- Kanban-style boards for visual workflow
Trac is a web-based open source issue tracking system developed in Python. It is the superior version of the wiki and used as the issue tracking tool for software development projects. You can use it to browse through the code, view history, view changes, etc. when you integrate Trac with SCM. It supports multiple platforms like Linux, Unix, Mac OS X, Windows, etc. A timeline shows all current and past project events in order while the roadmap highlights the upcoming milestones.
eTraxis is an open-source bug tracking tool supporting multiple languages. This tool is developed in a PHP language and supports multiple-databases like Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MS Server. For managing projects, eTraxis gives you a flexible platform involving multiple organizations by providing a central place for all project activity. It allows to create multiple users and projects and at the same time view the bugs assigned. Custom workflows are an additional feature of this system that makes handling projects as per your requirement.
- Files exchange and supports attachment
- Email notification
- Flexible permission
- Powerful filtering on issues
- Custom workflow
- View a complete history of all events
It is an open-source bug tracker and issue tracking system that is written using the Asp.Net platform and requires MySQL as a database. It has got everything that is required for creating projects, issues and managing them efficiently. It is free but the pro-version is licensed and commercial.
- Email notification
- Issue management
- This bug tracker system Supports multiple projects and databases
- Excellent Security
- Online support community
- Project and milestone management
- Easy navigation and administration
- Online support community
FogBugz is a web based bug tracking system that refers to defects as ‘cases’. It prioritizes and organizes development tasks in one central place. It includes a powerful search engine that enables you to instantly search the complete content of cases, wiki articles, and customer correspondence. Fogbugz supports almost all ios, Android, Blackberry, tablets, and ipads. It is a commercial product but reasonably priced.
- Issue tracking
- Quick and easy case creation
- Support help desk
- Automated error reporting with Bugzscout
- Automatic upgrades and backups
- Integration with other tools
- Project management
- Time tracking
- Integrated wiki
Lighthouse is the perfect ticket tracking solution. It is simple, organized, and compatible with your mobile devices. To manage the bug, the lighthouse gives you all the amenities it requires like custom states, an effective tagging system, advanced search, saved searches, and a mass editing tool. It also integrates with dozens of useful services that integrate with Lighthouse like Airbrake, Github, Exceptional, Beanstalk, etc. With few clicks, you can start managing tickets with commit messages or convert the application exception into lighthouse issues
Though it is a commercial tool, it is affordable. This tool is developed for large companies that need high volume licensing with a minimum prize. Bughost is accessible on the cloud and can create an issue directly into your project.
- Record unlimited defects
- Integrated emails and file attachments
- Bug linking
- Update multiple bugs at once
- Submission of bugs directly to your project by customers
- Strong security protection to access bugs
Microsoft Windows 10 is a widely used operating system in computers all over the world. If you have skills in Microsoft Windows 10 then you can get a Windows 10 Certification from StudySection which can help you in getting hired. A beginner level certification exam for newbies and an advanced level certification exam for experts is available on StudySection.