The history of Java is very interesting. Java was originally designed for interactive television, but it absolutely was too advanced technology for the digital cable television industry at the time. Java team members (also referred to as Green Team), initiated this project to develop a language for digital devices like set-top boxes, televisions, etc. However, it was suited for internet programming. Java technology was incorporated by Netscape later.
Java was developed by James Gosling, in 1995. James Gosling along with his team started the project in the early ’90s.
- Patrick Naughton, James Gosling, and Mike Sheridan initiated the Java language project in June 1991. This small team of sun engineers is called the Green Team.
- Initially designed for Very small, VLSI, embedded systems in electronic appliances like set-top boxes.
- Firstly, it was named “Greentalk” by James Gosling, and the file extension was .gt.
- After that, it was named Oak and was developed under the Green project.
Why is Java named “Oak”?
- Oak stands as a symbol of strength and chosen as a national tree of many countries such as France, Germany, the U.S.A., Romania, etc.
- In 1995, Oak was renamed as “Java” because it was already an occupied trademark by Oak Technologies.
Why is Java Programming named “Java”?
- The team gathered to choose a new name. According to James Gosling Java was one of the top choices followed by Silk. Since Java was so unique, most of the team members chose Java as the name.
- Java is named after an island of Indonesia where the first coffee was produced. It is a kind of espresso bean. The name “Java” was chosen by James Gosling while having a cup of coffee near his office.
- Remember that Java is just a name, not an acronym.
- Java, which is now a subsidiary of Oracle Corporation was initially developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems and released in 1995.
- In 1995, According to Time magazine Java was one of the Ten Best Products of the year 1995.
- JDK 1.0 was released on January 23, 1996. After the primary release of Java, there were many additional features added to the language. Now Java is used in Web applications, enterprise applications, Windows applications, mobile applications, cards, etc. Each and every new version adds the new features in Java.
The syntax of Java resembles C++ as it was mostly derived from it. However, C++ merges the syntax for object-oriented programming, generic and structured but java was built from the base up to be a virtually fully object-oriented language.
The second characteristic of java is its Object orientation (“OO”), which refers to a method to design software so that the various types of data it manipulates are combined together with their relevant operations. Hence, data and code are combined into two separate entities called objects.
The second characteristic is platform independence, which means that programs written in the Java language must run similarly on different hardware. A person writes a program once and runs it anywhere.
Automatic garbage collection
The third characteristic is Java’s automatic memory management model is to spare the programmer the burden of performing manual memory management. In some languages, the programmer is responsible for memory allocation to create any object stored on the heap and is also responsible for later manually deallocating that memory to delete any such objects.
The English language is the most widely used language as a medium of communication around the world. Having a certification for the English language can be an advantage. StudySection provides an English Certification Exam that tests English language proficiency in English grammar, reading, and writing.