Volume testing is also known as flood testing and it is a type of performance testing. Volume Testing is non-functional testing that’s used to test the performance and behavior of the system or application under a large amount of data.
Under Volume Testing the database is pushed to its limit point by adding a large amount of data to it and then the system is tested for its response. Volume testing can help users to know how capable the system is for the real world and it also helps to save lots of your money which can later be spent on maintenance purposes.
Main Objectives of Volume Testing:
- Volume testing provides developers and project holders enough information that can be used to know how much data the system can process without fail. Having knowledge of the capacity of the system makes scalability planning a bit easy and also helps in creating contingency plans.
- The second objective of software volume testing is to detect the issues that only show when the data load is increased like higher response time, system failure or crash, or security exploits.
- Volume testing is important as it helps the company to ensure that the software performance will not be disrupted and the system response time keeps to be high regardless of the amount of data users share through software.
- Volume testing also helps the project team ensure that no data is lost due to the increase in the size of the database and the pressure on the system.
- By analyzing Volume Testing results QA professionals will be able to find the warning signs of downtimes, system failure, and crashes. In real-world conditions, a business can manage data loads proactively, increasing the amount of disc space or expanding the database as soon as the amount of data nears the established limits.
- Volume testing helps businesses to understand if increasing the size or the speed of existing infrastructure components or adding more components to support the system is a suitable strategy.
- Volume testing determines the system’s performance under both low and medium loads to make sure that it works as it should and no performance issues are there. Under high data loads, the risk of data loss or overwriting is very high so volume testing helps to ensure that the system is not at risk of overflow or data security issues.
The things that need to be tested:
- Check if there is any data loss due to an increase in data.
- Check the system’s response time.
- Check if the data is stored and saved correctly in the database or not.
- Check if the data is replaced without any notification or not.
- Check for any warning and error messages that come at all for any volume problems.
- Check if the high volume of data affects the speed of processing.
- Does the system have the necessary memory resources?
- Does the volume test execute on the whole system?
- Check for any risk if the data volume is greater than specified limits.
- Is there any check or guarantee that ensures that no larger data volume will occur than specified limits?
Knowledge of .NET is quite rewarding in the IT industry. If you have got some skills in the .NET framework then a .NET certification from StudySection can prove to be a good attachment with your resume. You can go for a foundation level certificate as well as an advanced level certificate in the .NET framework.