Bobby Knight whose original name is Robert Montgomery Knight (born October 25, 1940) is a former American basketball coach. Knight won 902 NCAA Division I men’s college basketball games which were a record at the time of his retirement. Bobby Knight was best known as the head coach of the Indiana Hoosiers from 1971 to 2000. He also coached at Texas Tech from 2001 to 2008 and at Army from 1965 to 1971.
BOBBY KNIGHT’S SOME BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENTS:
- Knight led his teams to three NCAA championships, one National Invitation Tournament (NIT) championship, and 11 Big Ten Conference championships at Indiana which is a very big achievement.
- His 1975–76 team was undefeated during the regular season and won the 1976 NCAA tournament.
- The 1976 Indiana squad was the last men’s college basketball team which was undefeated for the entire season.
- Bobby Knight received National Coach of the Year honors four times.
- He also received Big Ten Coach of the Year honors eight times.
- In 1984, he coached the USA men’s Olympic team who won a gold medal.
- He was one of three basketball coaches to win an NCAA title, NIT title, and an Olympic gold medal.
CRITICISM AND CONTROVERSY:
Knight was one of basketball’s most successful coaches in College. Knight always faced controversy with his outspoken nature and demonstrative behavior. He once famously threw a chair across the court during a game. Knight was once arrested in Puerto Rico because of a physical confrontation with a police officer. Knight regularly displayed a short temper nature and was sometimes accused of verbal conflicts with members of the press. He was also captured on videotape appearing to have possibly grabbed one of his players by the neck. Knight once choked a player during practice. A “zero tolerance” policy was instituted for coach Knight because of that accident.
In 2008, Knight joined ESPN (Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) as a men’s college basketball studio analyst during Championship Week and for coverage of the NCAA Tournament. He continued covering college basketball for ESPN during the 2014–15 season.
LATEST NEWS ABOUT BOBBY KNIGHT:
Bobby Knight returned to the home court of the school that fired him 20 years ago. He was present there to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Indiana University’s 1980 Big Ten championship team, which was coached by Knight.
PHP programming is a valuable skill that a programmer can have. Let StudySection help you out with proving your programming skills through its PHP certification. StudySection provides beginner as well as expert-level certifications in PHP programming to prove your level of skills in PHP programming.